Ghent University is delighted to offer Postdoctoral researcher fellowship in Arabic historiography to study in Belgium. International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Level/Field of Study
Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded in the field of Arabic historiography.
Ghent University, Belgium
Value/Duration of Award
University offers up to 4 temporary full-time contracts as a post-doctoral researcher (36 months), starting 1 January 2018. The starting salary is minimum 1.982,25 euros net on a full-time basis.
Four awards are available
International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for fellowship:
Profile of the candidate
- The candidate should have a PhD in the field of Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, or equivalent in Belgium
- The candidate should have a promising track record in a field of research that is relevant for the MMS-II project, as demonstrated by relevant papers, publications, conference participation, PhD dissertation, reviews, committee comments,
- The candidate should have a strong interest in the study of late medieval historiography and Arabic literature at the crossroads of socio-political history and cultural studies.
- The candidate should be able to work independently and at the same time be a team player.
- Interest in, or experience with, computational analyses and digital Islamic humanities more in general may be an asset, but is not compulsory.
- The candidate has not worked, lived or studied in Belgium for more than 24 months in the last 36 months.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have PhD in Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, or equivalent.
English Language Requirements: English is the main language and proficiency in written and spoken English is crucial.
How to Apply
Please send us your CV, a cover letter with a short motivation and a statement of interest, a research proposal presenting a case study and a research plan (along the lines defined in the job description above – max. 3 pages), and the names and details of three referees.
Applications can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org only; the four components of the application (CV, letter, proposal, names of referees) should be combined in one PDF file. Deadline: 4 September 2017, 5 pm. Attention: Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview in the course of September 2017.
Application Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is September 04, 2017.