The John A. Kufuor Foundation, an independent, non-partisan development oriented institution inspired by the founder’s vision, has instituted the Kufuor Scholars’ Programme(KSP) to provide a specialized three (3) year transformational leadership preparation for the Ghanaian youth. The programme targets young people in Ghanaian Universities, who have successfully completed first year of studies (Level 100). The KSP aims primarily to add value to the formal education at the tertiary level by providing specialized orientation through programmed mentorship, skills and experiential activities and annual stipends. The programme is expected to produce leaders imbued with a strong sense of patriotism; leaders who are innovative, problem solvers, creative thinkers and knowledgeable in their respective fields of endeavour. It shall be a program known for its excellence in grooming transformational leaders of tomorrow
The specific programme objectives are
- To cultivate and mentor the next crop of transformational leaders; who are patriotic, selfless and community-oriented.
- To empoweryoung scholars with ethical qualities, skills for excellence and success in their respective careers and leadership roles for national development.
- To guide young scholars to become agents of social change for political tolerance, ethnic and religious co-existence, and national orientation for sustainable development.
Country of Study
Value of Award
The Kufuor Scholar will receive a stipend of GH¢ 10, 000.00 over a 3 year period. The Scholar will also benefit from leadership mentoring, camps, seminars, practical leadership internships, and execution of personal projects prior to graduation. The Scholar may also have the opportunity of participating in International Exchange Programs.
To be eligible for consideration, the potential Kufuor Scholar must:
- Be of Ghanaian nationality
- Have successfully completed the first year (e.g. Level 100) of study at a Ghanaian university in any academic discipline. Students who have completed second year (level 200) and beyond are not eligible
- Have demonstrable leadership interest and experience (e.g. in school, community or at the national level).
- Demonstrate nationalistic orientation and capacity to promote political and religious tolerance, and ethnic co-existence for national development
- Not be more than 35 years of age at the time of application
- Women are particularly encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Interested young scholars (males/females) will complete an online application form from the foundation’s website (www.kufuorscholarsprogram.org) and upload required documents as follows:
- A personal statement indicating why you want to be a Kufuor scholar (A 500 – word statement)
- An evidence-based essay on a leadership question on the site (A 700-word statement)
- Three letters of recommendation; one each from a University Lecturer, community or civil society organizer, and head of a public or private agency, testifying to the candidate’s abilities and leadership potentials
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Applicants below the age of 18 must submit a parental consent letter
- Transcripts of first year undergraduate studies
- For further information please call Tel. 050-227-5820 between 10am -4pm (Mon-Fri).
Application Deadline: All required documents and application form must be submitted by 28th February 2017.