The University of Tokyo is offering Kobayashi Research Grants in the field of humanities and social sciences. International students from Asian and Asian Pacific region are eligible to apply for these grants.
The University of Tokyo aims to be a world-class platform for research and education, contributing to human knowledge in partnership with other leading global universities. The University of Tokyo aims to nurture global leaders with a strong sense of public responsibility and a pioneering spirit, possessing both deep specialism and broad knowledge.
Grants are available to pursue research program.
The subject field of the grant is the humanities and social sciences and, as long as individual research. Researchers will deepen their understanding and awareness of society, culture, etc in Japan and Asia / Oceania and will focus on research that further promotes international exchange between Japan and these regions in the future.
Value of Award
Maximum of 1,200,000 JPY /person will be awarded.
The University limits about 1.2 million yen per case and adopts about 32 people.
In fiscal 2016, we awarded 39 to 1.2 million yen per case for 32 people.
(As a result of the examination, the actual amount of grant may be reduced to the amount of the application.)
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
At the time of entry (as of February 28, 2017) and upon receipt of the grant, all of the conditions below must be met.
- International students from Asia, Oceania countries/regions
- Note the Asia-Pacific countries and regions as referred to here, it shows the following countries and regions.
|East Asia||Korea, China, Taiwan, Mongolia|
|Southeast Asia||Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, East Timor, Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos|
|South Asia||India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives|
|Oceania||Island country in Australia, New Zealand, Oceania region|
- Applicants enrolled in postgraduate doctoral programs in Japan (except for master’s degree programs such as previous doctoral course etc), or graduate students doctoral course and continue to enrol in doctor’s degree. However, those who already have a doctoral degree or who have decided to accept a doctorate (by the end of July 2017) at the time of award grant (end of July 2017) can not apply.
- A person who can receive a recommendation from a supervisor.
Nationality: International students from Asian and Asian Pacific region;
Korea, China, Taiwan, Mongolia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, East Timor, Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Australia, New Zealand, Oceania Islands are eligible to apply for these grants.
How to Apply
Please mail the following documents by simply registered mail to the Foundation Secretariat by the application deadline.
- Application form by the Fund prescribed form and resume (photo attached)
- Letter of recommendation of guidance Professor (using the Fund prescribed form, that of the sealed envelope)
- Overview of the research plan (within two optional A4 horizontal) and schedule and budget (prescribed form)
- Certificate of student status
Application Deadline: Grant application deadline is February 28 (Thu), 2017.