Applications are invited from Indian citizens for a multi-year doctoral fellowship in China Studies sponsored jointly by the Institute of Chinese Studies, Delhi (ICS) and the Harvard-Yenching Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts (HYI). The Fellowship encompasses substantial support for developing language and pursuing research in India, China and Harvard.
The Institute of Chinese Studies, Delhi (ICS) is one of the oldest research institutions in China and East Asia in India. The Institute encompasses a variety of disciplinary specializations and professional expertise and pursues common objectives regarding the study of China and East Asia in India.
Scholarship Type: Fellowships for a Doctoral Program
Eligible Fields of Study
Fellowship is awarded in the field of China studies.
Scholarship is applicable for studying in:
China, India and Havard.
Value of Award
The Fellowship stipend for the first three conditions will begin from April of the year following the selection and will be used for additional language skills development and research in India.
Indian Students are eligible for this scholarship award.
The Fellowship is subject to the following conditions, whichever is applicable:
- A selected candidate possessing Chinese language ability, and whose synopsis has already been passed by the home university, will begin the first year of the Fellowship at a university in China beginning in the September following the selection. This year will be devoted to developing additional language skills and field work for the PhD thesis. The next year will be spent at the HYI, for additional doctoral research and language studies. These two years of the fellowship will be offered by the HYI. The third and final year will be spent back in the home university in India to complete writing up the thesis and submit it within the stipulated time.
- In case a selected candidate has completed one year of a PhD programme, has no language skills but has the synopsis passed by the home university, then the first year of the Fellowship will be devoted to developing a working ability to read and translate modern Chinese equivalent to the level of the One-Year Intensive course of Delhi University. At the end of the year, the candidate will be required to face a test. If the candidate fails the language test, then the Fellowship will be discontinued till such time that the candidate passes the test and the Selection Committee determines that he or she is ready to go to China.
- In case a selected candidate has completed one year of a PhD programme, has the requisite language skills but has not had the synopsis passed by the home university, then the first year of the Fellowship will be devoted to completing the synopsis and getting it passed alongside continuing with additional, higher-level language studies to the satisfaction of the Selection Committee. If at the end of this first year of the Fellowship, the synopsis is still not passed, then the Fellowship will be discontinued till such time the selected candidate has his or her synopsis passed and the Selection Committee determines that he or she is ready to go to China.
- In case a selected candidate is yet to begin the PhD programme and possesses no language skills, then Fellowship will be available to that candidate for the first two years following PhD registration in the home university in India during which period the candidate will endeavour to pass both the language tests as well as have the PhD synopsis passed by the home university. The Fellowship will be available from the time the ICS receives confirmation of the PhD registration.
How to Apply
The applicant must submit by e-mail to email@example.com
- CV with academic record, awards, contact details
- Academic transcripts from MA-level onward (scanned copies)
- PhD research proposal submitted or being submitted to the university. If the synopsis has not been finalized, a 1000 word proposal outlining the research focus
- Statement of purpose, detailing candidate’s interest in China and relevance of the PhD proposal for Chinese studies or India-China comparative studies
- Proof of relevant language capability, if applicable (scanned copies)
- Three signed references on official letterheads, at least two of which must be from academics in universities or scholars in research institutions to be sent separately to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Last date for receiving applications, including references: February 17, 2017
Announcement of candidates selected for interview: February 28, 2017
Interviews on: March 20, 2017
The announcement of final list of selected candidates: March 30, 2017.