Rhodes University is inviting applications for Hugh le May Fellowship for Young South Africans. The fellowship is available in alternate years to senior scholars who wish to devote themselves to advanced work in one of the following subjects: Philosophy, Classics, Ancient, Medieval or Modern History, Classical, Biblical, Medieval or Modern Languages, Political Theory, Law.
Rhodes University is offering Hugh le May Fellowship of between three and six months duration. Scholarships are awarded to young South Africans.
Rhodes University (RU or simply Rhodes) is a public research university located in Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. It is one of four universities in the province.
This is three to six months research fellowship program.
Fellowship is awarded in Philosophy, Classics, Ancient, Medieval or Modern History, Classical, Biblical, Medieval or Modern Languages, Political Theory, Law.
Value of Award
The Fellowship, of between three and six months duration, comprises:
- A direct return economy class airfare from the Fellow’s place of residence.
- University accommodation with electricity and water included.
- 00 monthly cash stipend to supplement the Fellow’s usual source of income, or if accompanied by a partner R7500.00 per month cash stipend.
- If the Fellow accepts the appointment for at least four months and is accompanied by a partner, the partner’s return economy airfare will also be paid.
- The length of the Fellowship may be extended by mutual agreement and subject to the availability of funds.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
Only qualified applicants should apply i.e. if you have obtained your PhD in the last 5 years please do not submit an application. Rather apply for the Rhodes University Postdoctoral Fellowship or the Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Nationality: Scholarships are awarded to young South Africans.
How to Apply
Applications should be sent via post.
Application Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is August 31, 2017.