King’s College London is offering its new award, Desmond Tutu Scholarships as part of the King’s Scholars schemes for 2017 entry. UK, EU and international students are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
King’s College London is a public research university located in London, United Kingdom, and a founding constituent college of the federal University of London.
The level of English language, applicants are required to demonstrate is dependent upon the program for which they have applied. The level of English required for each program is denoted by a five-band system, each band corresponds to a level of English language competence.
Scholarships are available to pursue the undergraduate program.
Scholarships are awarded in any of the subjects offered by the university.
Value of Award
Total 18 scholarships are available, each worth £1,000.
The scholarship is payable in year one of your course of study and will be paid to as a single cash bursary in October 2017.
There are a total of 18 scholarships available.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
All undergraduate degree students starting at King’s in 2017, who do not already have a previous degree from a UK, EU or international institution, are eligible to apply, though the following selection criteria will be applied to each applicant:
In order to be eligible* to apply for the Desmond Tutu Scholarship, students must:
- Must be undertaking the first degree;
- Not hold a first degree from a UK, EU or other international institution;
- Not be NHS-funded in their first year of study;
- Will only be considered if you are subsequently confirmed as holding an offer from King’s;
- Submit an essay, not to exceed 1,000 words, titled: “How do you think an education at King’s College London would help you to serve society once you graduate?”
- Submit a copy of your curriculum vitae (CV) which demonstrates existing work in service to society.
- Please note that being eligible does not mean an automatic entitlement to a scholarship, as final selection by committee is based upon your essay and CV submission.
Nationality: UK, EU or other international students are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have their previous degree.
English Language Requirement: The level of English language, applicants are required to demonstrate is dependent upon the program for which they have applied. The level of English required for each program is denoted by a five-band system, each band corresponds to a level of English language competence.
How to Apply
The word limit is 1,000 words.
The essay title is: How do you think an education at King’s College London would help you to serve society once you graduate?
The criteria for evaluation of the essay:
- The academic merit of the assignment – a clear and fluent style with a well focused and structured argument;
- An understanding and exposition of how skills learnt at the College will be able to translate into action to serve society.
- Applicants will also be required to provide a Curriculum Vitae (CV) which demonstrates your existing work in service to society.
- The selection panel will consist of a group of key academics from across King’s College London. The selection of candidates is a matter of academic judgment. All decisions of the panel are final.
Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is 5 pm on Friday, March 31, 2017.