Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR) invites outstanding early career investigators to join one of the interdisciplinary research programs that address some of the most complex challenges facing the world today. This programme is awarded to the international and Canadian students.
The CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars program is a two-year appointment designed to support young investigators at a pivotal time in their careers.
The Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR) is an institute of advanced study that creates and maintains global research networks working on complex areas of inquiry.CIFAR staff supports the research of nearly 350 researchers, of which about half are located in Canada while the rest are located abroad.
A program for early career research leaders in the natural, biomedical and social sciences and the humanities: the CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars.
Country of Study
Value of Award
The scholarship will cover the followings:
- $100,000 CDN in undesignated research supportA two-year appointment to a CIFAR research program
- Specialized leadership and communication skills training
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Hold a PhD or equivalent terminal degree.
- Be employed no more than five years in their first full-time faculty position, including both research and teaching responsibilities, at an institution of higher education or research. Typically, applicants will be at an Assistant Professor level or equivalent in other academic systems.
- Be appointed to their first faculty position no earlier than May 1, 2012. Special consideration may be given to those with exceptional circumstances or leaves.
- Be engaged in research that complements and contributes to the themes and goals of one of the eligible CIFAR research program (refer to section E).
- Demonstrate an outstanding level of research achievement and the promise of future impact in their field, as evidenced by the quality of publications, awards received, and statements by distinguished referees.
- Demonstrate a track record of, or interest in, engaging across disciplines, as well as sectors beyond academia, to enrich and extend the impact of their research.
- Be in good standing to obtain a passport and travel visas to attend CIFAR meetings in Canada and other countries around the world.
- Be available to attend a two-day in-person interview* on September 16-17, 2017 in Toronto, Canada. Travel costs will be provided by CIFAR.
- Be fluent in spoken and written English.
- NOTE: Postdoctoral fellows are NOT eligible to apply to this program.
Nationality: Applicants of all nationalities can apply for the scholarship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicant must hold a PhD or equivalent degree.
English Language Requirement: Applicants must be fluent in spoken and written English.
How to Apply
Applications are submitted online through CIFAR’s application system and must include three letters of recommendation from at least one faculty member or equivalent and preferably one non-academic leader. Applications received by other means will not be considered. If applicants have any questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application will require you to answer questions about:
- Your research and how it complements the CIFAR program you would like to joinIdeas for collaboration with fellows in the programYour leadership experience to date Your engagement with non-academic communities or interest in such engagement.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is May 23, 2017.