The International Center of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) In-Country/In-Region Scholarships Program and African university partners, are offering doctoral research scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Program in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS). There are total twelve ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries.
The primary objective of ARPPIS is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in an internationally competitive research environment within national, regional and international research programs.
Icipe is an international scientific research institute, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya that works towards improving lives and livelihoods of people in Africa. DAAD is the German national agency for the support of international academic cooperation, and offers programs and funding for students, faculty, researchers and others in higher education.
Applicant must have good command of the English language (written & spoken).
Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD program.
Eligible Fields of Study
Scholarships are awarded for training in insect sciences for development.
Value of Award
Scholarships cover all costs of the PhD program, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees, and research and training costs. Financial support for the scholarships is provided in part by DAAD and also by icipe.
Twelve (12) ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries.
Applicant Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for this scholarship opportunity, an applicant must:
- A national of a country in sub-Sahara Africa.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- A Master’s degree taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project.
- The Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a maximum age of 36 years (men) or 40 years (women) by 31st December 2017.
- Additional specific entrance requirements will be considered for admission depending on the eligible PhD project(s) selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each project go to: list of projects
- A working knowledge of English (written & spoken).
- Completed application forms and accompanying supporting documents. Note: please start the application process as soon as possible, especially if some of the supporting documents are difficult to obtain.
Nationality: Citizens of sub-Saharan African (Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe) can apply for these scholarships.
How to Apply
To apply it is necessary to submit online scholarship application form.
Please include the following supporting documents with application form:
- Curriculum Vitae
- (Certified copies of official university certificates and transcripts, and any other professional or academic certificates. Please combine into 1 file. If necessary, applicant may zip the file to make it smaller for uploading.
- Copy of a signed recommendation letter from their employer (if currently employed) or University where MSc was undertaken. The letter must be on institute letterhead.
- Copy of passport-style photograph (colour)
- Copy of National ID
- Copy of Passport biodata page
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is February 12, 2017.