The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is offering Postdoctoral Fellowship in Data Science. Fellowships are tenable for one year, contingent on satisfactory progress, and could be extended for the second year.
Preference will be given to applicants from SADC member states but candidates from all over Africa are encouraged to apply.
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a pan-African network of centers of excellence for postgraduate education, research and outreach in mathematical sciences.
Fellowship is available to pursue the postdoctoral program.
Eligible Fields of Study
Fellowship is awarded in the field of Data Science.
Research projects will be spread over the following thematic areas:
- Mathematical methods for data science
- Computational techniques (algorithms) for data science
- Application of data science tools to problems from industry
- HPC implementations and studies of arising scientific computing issues
Value of Award
Fellowships are tenable for one year, contingent on satisfactory progress, and could be extended for the second year. Fellowships are immediately available and the value of the award ranges between R200 – R240k per annum, tax-free, subject to qualification and experience. Other benefits included the provision of a laptop, coverage of all cost associated with the use of HPC resources, and a conference travel allowance of R 30,000 per annum.
Applicant Eligibility Criteria
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- A relevant doctorate of high standing
- A developing research capability which will lead to good publications
- Ability to tutor postgraduate students successfully
- Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Good communication skills
- Fluency in English
Nationality: Students from Africa (Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a relevant doctorate of high standing.
English language Requirements: Applicants must have fluency in English.
How to Apply
Send completed applications to email@example.com
- A covering letter motivating the application
- A comprehensive CV stating research plans in the above or related areas
- Two reference letters from academics familiar with your work
- Statement on citizenship and whether a South African work permit is currently being held
- Other practical information such as earliest date of commencement
- Please note the Fellowship cannot be held concurrently with any supplementary funding.
Application Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is February 15, 2017.