The Institute for Informatics at the University of Amsterdam offers Three PhD Positions for four years. Students from all around the world can apply for these positions.
The primary goal of the three PhD projects is to perform cutting-edge research in computer vision and deep learning to automatically detect activities in a multi-camera streaming video environment.
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) is consistently ranked among the world’s best universities in global rankings. It is a top 100 university in the Rankings, QS Rankings and Leiden Ranking.
Level/Field of Study
These positions are available for pursuing PhD programme.
These positions are awarded to the project of deep learning of activities in video
University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Value/Duration of Award
The appointment of the PhD candidates will be on a temporary basis for a period of 4 years (initial appointment will be for a period of 18 months and after the satisfactory evaluation, it can be extended for a total duration of 4 years) and should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). An educational plan will be drafted that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. The PhD student is also expected to assist in the teaching of bachelor and master students.
Based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week) the gross monthly salary will range from €2,222 in the first year to €2,840 in the last year. There are also secondary benefits, such as 8% holiday allowance per year and the end of year allowance of 8.3%.
Some of the things we have to offer:
- Competitive pay and good benefits;
- Top-50 University worldwide;
- One of the best deep learning ecosystems in the world;
- Interactive, open-minded and a very international city;
- Excellent computing facilities.
English is the working language in the Informatics Institute. As in Amsterdam almost everybody speaks and understands English, candidates need not be afraid of the language barrier.
International students are eligible to apply.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible fo the scholarship:
- Master degree in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, or related field;
- Excellent programming skills (the project is in Python and C/C++);
- Solid mathematics foundations, especially statistics and linear algebra;
- Highly motivated;
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
English Language Requirement: Applicants should have good command (both written and spoken) on English language.
How to Apply
Applications may only be submitted by sending your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. To process your application immediately, please quote vacancy number 17-352. Applications must include:
- A motivation letter explaining why you are the right candidate;
- Curriculum vitae, (max 3 pages);
- A copy of your Master’s thesis;
- A complete record of Bachelor and Master courses (including grades);
- A list of projects you have worked on (with brief descriptions of your contributions, max 2 pages);
- The names and contact addresses of at least two academic references.
All these should be grouped in one PDF attachment.
The Committee does not guarantee that late or incomplete applications will be considered. Applications not mentioning vacancy number and the title of the position you are applying for in the subject-line will not be processed.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is August 18, 2017.